Life As Usual?

Saturday, December 27, 2008



Reading "Worldliness - Resisting the Seduction of A Fallen World" has already been quite a challenge. The reading itself is very enjoyable- it's the digesting that has proven to touch more than my mind! 

I have come to realize a serious, honest, in-depth self-evaluation is absolutely necessary right now. I am far from what most would consider worldly, but I have my faults. This book has begun to do just what I hoped it would, that is, point out practical ways that I can more consistently do whatever I do for the glory of God. 

According to contributor and editor, C.J. Mahaney, worldliness is simply "the love for this fallen world" (p.27). He goes onto quote Joel Beeke who said:

"The goal of worldly people, is to move forward rather than upward, to live horizontally rather than vertically. They seek after outward prosperity rather than holiness. They burst with selfish desires rather than heartfelt supplications. If they do not deny God, they ignore and forget Him, or else they use Him only for their selfish ends. Worldiness...is human nature without God." 

The content of this book is a testimony to the fact that God builds precept upon precept, line upon line, here a little, there a little in the lives of His people. 

Check out the book! It's more than a good read, it uses Scripture to equip saints for a truly abundantly good life! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)