Ode To Winter: In Ten Pictures

Sunday, March 04, 2018












I've learned to adore a good winter walk. No amount of bundling up can keep me inside these days. That's huge for this person who has been dubbed a "summer girl" by everyone who knows her. Theoretically, winter should be over soon. That's a little hard to believe with all of the blizzards we've been having, but I've been itching to get back into my garden and to take books and my writing notebook and every single meal outside all the same. As much as I'm looking forward to warmer days, I wanted to take some time to celebrate the season that is NOW.

These ten pictures were taken on an unusually warm day. My morning walk and the day off I had ahead of me convinced me that I needed to make the most of it all. My batteries couldn't charge fast enough. It actually worked out that they took as long as they did, because the light was perfect by the time I made it out.

I meandered along, stopping where I wanted for as long as I wanted. I fiddled with camera settings and took test shots. I kept checking to make sure I hadn't lost a glove since it was warm enough for me to tuck them into my purse. I made my way down to the beach where I sat cross-legged as close to the edge of the water as I could get without actually getting wet. I took my hat off and tilted my face up to the sun and fought the urge to stretch out on the rocks for a nap. I listened as people wandered by or stopped to stare out across the lake.

I didn't see a single familiar face or hear any voices that I recognized. I walked far enough that even the sounds of the city faded away. There were geese and seagulls and other birds I can't name singing songs and calling out warnings. There were dogs barking and the first of the boats making passes across the water that was so still. There were kids laughing and adults telling story after story.

And there was me. Camera in hand without any reason to rush or hurry along to anything else. I've got a few more shots to share and an ode in list form coming soon. Until then, I hope you enjoy these ten pictures.

Do you have a favorite season?

1 comment:

  1. I'm usually a summer girl too but those are beautiful pictures!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)