A Method to Keep From Madness

Tuesday, August 29, 2023

 


This isn't me coming back to regular blogging, but it is me celebrating that I managed to get back into this account. 


And I wanted to surprise my sister with a new post. As always, where there is a creative outlet, the words come. 


My latest discovery is a life saving Bible study method for any season of life when you find that you have very little time that is strictly up to you to decide what to do. There's a fancy word for that but bear with me, I can't think of it. 


For years I read my Bible and journaled. I wrote prayers and notes and application points and questions and Scripture itself. Actual hours would pass day after day while I filled pages. 


Then I was introduced to Jen Wilkin and my old process was given stronger muscles and my mining efforts went even deeper than ever before. Year after year I've gone back and forth between study and reading methods with the aim of reading large chunks of Scripture at a time, reading smaller portions and studying them DEEPLY, and purposefully studying a book or a topic for a certain period of time. I don't care how many months it takes, my aim is to spend time learning from God. 


That said anything other than nibbling or feasting on Scripture takes time and tools and headspace. And the Jen Wilkin way as I call it requires me to know where I left off and to have at least a largish chunk of time to myself. 




Other than *forgetting my password* all the life changes of the past five or six years have been the reason for my silence here. You can imagine that my DEEPER study took a hit too.  I've done James and Colossians, and made it through several chapters of Philippians. But there is no time of day that you're sure to find me actively engaged with an actual portion of Scripture. 


It's bothered me. 


I miss lingering with God alone. 


Everyone tells you not to sweat it. To nibble and to listen to audio Bible while you do something else. But it's not enough for me. I lean on God harder than ever and I need the equipping of His Word more too. Jani Ortlund was kind enough to spend an episode of her podcast answering the question I sent in. 


I keep various Bibles, devotionals, and my journal around so that when it hits I can sign in. I have spent the days when the baby sleeps through their final feeding but I'm awake for it doing a Jen Wilkin method (usually it's summer and I sneak out to the deck). But there's a lot of times when sleep is more than precious and so I feel my soul shriveling. 


Enter what I'm calling the micro Wilkin way introduced by We'll Watered Women. 


Rather than trying to make it through an entire chapter and all its keywords, themes, context, cross references and their keywords, deeper word studies, finding answers to your questions, and writing a summary and reading a commentary in one week or so, this method says: focus on 2-5 verses each week. Do this by designating one day of the week for each task involved. 

So of course, I'm trying it out! 


I hope that you won't give up on regular time alone with God in His Word. I hope you'll read and study a variety of ways and that your soul is revived and restored by God Himself who made you, saved, you and invites you to feast at His Table.


He'll feed you by hand when you need it. He'll give you glorious riches. He'll equip you. He'll satisfy you with Himself while stirring up a hunger that nothing else can satisfy.

May you know the hunger. May you meet Him and expect Him to nourish you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)