Lessons on Texas Cooking

Saturday, July 12, 2014



When a cookbook has that much cheese on the cover, you KNOW it's going to be GOOD! Prior to reading my way through "The Homesick Texan's Family Table", I had never heard of "The Homesick Texan" aka Lisa Fain. Let me tell you, I've been missing out for sure!

This cookbook is FULL of everyday type recipes that are perfect for people like me who like to keep things straight forward and real when it comes to food. 



After looking through the book, I grabbed a piece of paper and marked every recipe that I wanted to try. Too many times there ends up being only a small handful of recipes that sound good....Not so, with Lisa's book! I had to include a picture of my list just so you could see it for yourself! 

I marked breakfast dishes like Green Chile Baked Eggs and Grandma Blanche's Chocolate Muffins. Then there were salads and sides like those in the picture, Ranch-Style Beans, and Ancho Chile Applesauce. When it came to soups and main dishes I marked recipes like Chipotle Chicken and Dumplings and Sunday Brisket. Don't even get me started on the sweets list! 

Like I said, this is a recipe book you can cook from. Most every recipe called for things that I already have on hand. 


In addition to recipes, Lisa included some gorgeous pictures and plenty of family stories. I wasn't kidding when I said that I read my way through this book! I feel like I've officially been a guest at the Fain table.

Pick up a copy HERE and don't skip the introduction! I got a whole lesson on the Texas table, chile peppers  (I'm going to try to make my own chili powder which may turn into growing my own chiles next summer), and so much more!


* I was provided with a review copy of this book by Blogging for Books. All thoughts are my own honest opinion.

1 comment:

  1. This cookbook sounds awesome! I love recipes that are straight-forward. And I love gorgeous photos, so this is a win-win :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)