Snowy Saturday Afternoon

Saturday, November 04, 2017

November 4, 2017

I'm looking out of my window and it might as well be the middle of winter. Snow has been coming down off and on since yesterday afternoon. Oddly enough, most of the trees still have a fair amount of leaves on them. The tamaracks haven't shed their needles. And yet, the sky is moody and gray and the ground is covered in white. I'm curled up with a coffee and a quiet evening ahead of me.

Grab a mug of your own and let's chat!

After I got off of work today, I sat at a table and tried to write out an essay about the coffee shop where I worked in high school and college. It's going to close before the end of the month. That little building brought a lot of life to the town where I grew up and an essay seems like the least I can do. I sat for most of an hour and scribbled down over four pages worth of words, but I'm really not sure they're the ones I had in mind.

By now, most of you know about this new job of mine. I'm working in a library and I'm absolutely loving it. Everyone who asks me about it, gets the same response, "I keep having to remind myself I'm getting PAID to do this." It's that great. I've been writing a post in my head for a while now about what working there has taught me so far. One of these days I'll type it out and leave it here for you to enjoy. You'll be surprised at some of lessons that were waiting for me.

In completely unrelated news...Murder On the Orient Express comes out Friday! It's the first movie I'VE wanted to see in theatres in a good long while. I'm a little nervous that the director is playing Poirot and was very intentional with putting the spin on him that he did. BUT. It's Christie on the big screen, a classic, and I'm just excited that another generation is about to see her genius.

I've been kicking some new words around in my mind lately...Grateful and love and too, to name a few. I've said one, been told another several times over, and put some flesh on the last one. Words can be important. We speak them in such a half-hazard manner sometimes. More often than not, if we're honest. Let's not do that, okay? Let's think over our words and speak the ones that are true. Let's allow ourselves to be shocked by what is shocking and not shy away from asking for clarification. Let's not mull over words that should never have been spoken and be sure to apologize when we've said something we shouldn't have.

It's a snowy Saturday afternoon and we're in for an extra hour of sleep if we play our cards right. Here's to that hour and the difference it's sure to make in the week ahead!

What's on your mind?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)