April Fool's Dinner

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

I was the kid that read Family Fun magazines. I have so many ideas filed away in my mind and occasionally I pull one out.

Last month I came across an idea on Pinterest which reminded me of the April Fool's day pranks involving food that I read about in Family Fun a few times. I liked this idea because it didn't involve strange food or something that people might not enjoy eating.

Before I go any further, let me just say that I am HORRIBLE at pulling off practical jokes. The rest of the members in my family are clever, sly, and patient. April Fool's day is always FULL of practical jokes at my house.

Year after year SOMETHING always gets me. Just to give you an idea...This year I nearly got clotheslined on plastic wrap that was placed across the kitchen door frame. Notice I said NEARLY. I slowed down and turned my face to the side JUST in time NOT to be the victim of that awful prank!

April 1, 2014 will go down as the day I had my own FUN on April Fool's day. :)

I was a horrible blogger and did not take a single picture....I'll show you what I fixed and how I conducted things.


Everyone came to dinner with no idea that anything out of the ordinary was about to happen.

Before dinner I collected all of the necessary items that each person would be able to use at different times of the meal.

Everyone sat down and I announced that dinner was going to be different. They were told that at no time during dinner were they allowed to talk about the menu or the food choices they had or were making. I passed out blank menus like the one above. With ZERO talking, everyone had to fill out their own menu.

Once all the menus were filled out, I collected them and told each person what their first course would consist of using the answer key. Our dinner had a Star Wars theme and there was no rhyme or reason to why each item was assigned to each character. 

I thought about doing a menu that COULD be figured out, but then I decided that for this year, this would be more fun! 

Aside from the no talking about the menu rule, there were only a few other rules:

You cannot move on to the next course of your meal until you are ready to be finished with the course you are on.

Once a course is over all the items from that course are forfeited and you cannot use them for the rest of the meal. 


 

Since I made up the menus and directed each person as to what each of their courses would consist of, I decided that the only way for me to play along would be if someone else chose my items. I ate whatever my Mom chose for each course! Thankfully, she ended up doing a great job of it!


via
Our appetizer was my version of this strawberry salad, ice water, and a knife.

via


Our main dish consisted of a napkin, my version of this skillet mac and cheese, german sausage, and a fork.

via

Our dessert was a lemon bar and a spoon.



After dinner was over, everyone tried to decode the menu without actually looking at menus. It took about 20 minutes or so, but they did figure out which character stood for each item! They also clued me into a little prank of their own that went COMPLETELY unnoticed by me.


I drink ice water CONSTANTLY. So, earlier in the day they put a hard boiled egg into the door of the freezer where the ice comes out. They waited patiently all afternoon for me to squeal about the egg that came out of the ice machine. Unfortunately, I was so busy preparing the menus and the dinner that I wasn't drinking anything. 

I filled up a cup with ice to put into the pitcher of water for the table. I was in such a rush that I didn't notice the egg that came out with it. I dumped the ice - egg and all - into the pitcher and placed in on the table. I poured myself and glass of water and STILL did not notice the egg.

FINALLY, my Mom said something about the water and had to tell me about their prank. All I could was laugh! Their prank was a good one, but my unintentional prank of being completely clueless was pretty funny too!

So, that was April Fool's day this year. I'm looking forward to doing something similar next year!

Have you ever done something that required planning on April Fool's? 


What's the best (or worst) prank you've been a victim of?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I hope everything makes sense. It was a lot of fun and the perfect way to "get" everyone without ruining anything!

5 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! How did people eat without their utensils?! And then if they didn't have a napkin and had to eat with their fingers...
    I may have to give this a try next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this idea!! and it was incredible lol!
    yo ureally did such a good job - and oh my gosh the egg in the water...HILARIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! I just love this! And the egg in the pitcher made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea! You did a great job planning that dinner. I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeves for April Fool's Day 2015. :)

    p.s. And from one fellow iced water lover to another, I looooved that prank your family pulled on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this looks like a blast! I have done something similar before, but I like the idea of having people fill out the menu so everyone can keep track of what they ordered.
    For April Fool's Day this year, Mikaela and I switched on all our music students! (-; It was priceless, with many of them having no idea they had a different teacher for the day.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)