What I'm Into: February 2015

Friday, February 27, 2015


In just a few days, February will be behind us! This was a month of really getting back to normal. I keep telling myself that signs of spring are everywhere. Play practice continues, soup suppers have begun for Lent, and my friend Heidi's baby should be here any time.

I really enjoyed celebrating my Mom's birthday this year. The dinner and dessert was a group effort! My Uncle (and aunts) assisted me from the East Coast was I attempted to make my Grandma's Spaghetti and Meatballs. I jumped in over my head with the cake...My Mom came to the rescue with the decorating and my sister joined me in laughing at my helplessness. More on all of that later!


What I'm Watching

I'll give you a list:

The House of Anubis (done)
Downton Abbey (almost done)
The Great British Baking Show
Cut Throat Kitchen
Alton Brown's Good Eats
The Great Courses: Gardening
Grantchester

And now I'll tell you more about each one:

We finished The House of Anubis and Downton Abbey is nearly over, so I've been on the look out for new shows. Somehow, I stumbled down the rabbit hole of cooking shows.

The Great British Baking Show. We got a Roku last month and I'm loving the PBS stuff they have. I discovered this show over last weekend. I'm already hooked! I really like Norman and Kate...but then there's Luis whose food always looks soooo fancy and Nancy who reminds me of myself and Richard who isn't afraid of anything. I don't really know who I'm rooting for!

Cut Throat Kitchen. This came as a result of my recent obsession with Alton Brown's Good Eats. Cut Throat is sort of harsh, but I really enjoy watching people overcome each challenge.

Ron and Julie gave me several gardening videos from The Great Courses. Since the cold weather is back, I've been watching a few of those each week! 

Oh and I almost forgot...We also discovered Grantchester this month! It's a mystery show on PBS set in the 1950's. So far, it's been hit and miss with the themes though.



In the Kitchen

We had a lot of old favorites this month. To name a few: Meatloaf, Chicken ala King, Baked Potato Soup, and my Grandma's London Broil.

Spumoni Cake rounded out my Mom's italian birthday dinner perfectly!

Chicken Tortilla Soup warmed us up on a day that was more winter than spring.

Last week we (my Mom, sister, and I - and maybe my brother) teamed up to make egg rolls, fried rice, and some dipping sauces. Then I made hamburgers. And then we teamed up again for taco bar. See the theme there?

Sunday Brisket via this cookbook was a real hit on Tuesday night. 




What I'm Reading

I've got what I hope will be some great books on the way from the mail order library! (For those who may want to know: "Maisie Dobbs" by Jacqueline Winspear and "The Lottery Winner" by Mary Higgins Clark.)

In the mean time I'm reading "Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ" by John Piper , a review copy of "By Your Side" by Candace Calvert, and a collection of essays by EB White.

Stay tuned for a look at my winter reading list in the next week or so!



On the Blog

The getting there pictures and Asheville pictures from our trip south have been a big hit!

I introduced another goal of mine for Through * For * By in 2015 and I'm calling it A Month of Saturdays.

Sometimes God meets you while you garden in February and you write about it.

Ask & Answer returned with questions about traveling, memorable years, inspiration, and winter. It thrills me that your answers are still coming in! What do you want to Ask & Answer in March?



I'm linking up with Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)