Knowing and Believing

Tuesday, February 06, 2018

May 9, 2017
I have a Bird in spring by Emily Dickinson

I have a Bird in spring
Which for myself doth sing --
The spring decoys.
And as the summer nears --
And as the Rose appears,
Robin is gone.

Yet do I not repine

Knowing that Bird of mine
Though flown --
Learneth beyond the sea
Melody new for me
And will return.

Fast is a safer hand

Held in a truer Land
Are mine --
And though they now depart,
Tell I my doubting heart
They're thine.

In a serener Bright,

In a more golden light
I see
Each little doubt and fear,
Each little discord here
Removed.

Then will I not repine,

Knowing that Bird of mine
Though flown
Shall in a distant tree
Bright melody for me
Return.

It's too easy to get so caught up with the shadows. The coldest, darkest days of winter. The hardest, most confusing moments of life. The emotional ruts we get ourselves into. Life just isn't always sunshine and rainbows. And yet...Even when the shadows are cast long and dark and deep, they are a sign that there is light SOMEWHERE.

Emily's words have been on my mind lately as I think about what it is to be one who hopes in God. I've been trying to make sense of certain shadows lately. I've tried to shake them. I've tried to talk them down and put them in the place where they belong. And I'm really struggling.

My hope is still in God because I know the truth. I'm repeating it to myself over and over again. God is good. God is in control. He is faithful. He keeps His promises. Nothing in life is ever wasted. God is working right now for His glory and the good of His people. This life isn't all there is.

The statements are simple and each one carries with it the power to change my mind.

Spring and its birds will return. The decoys shouldn't wreck me. The things and people that go away don't change the hope that is mine in God. I know a day will come when the new melody will ring through the air. And yet...My heart doubts it and even seems to delight in this doubting.

God is removing that doubt without removing what it is that's stirring it up and causing it to spill over. What's mine will be mine before the bird ever comes back, before the song is ever heard. It's the hope, the assurance, and the knowing that carry the grace for each day. He is removing the doubt and the fear and the discord of a soul at war with itself and with Him. He replaces it with a knowing that leads to belief. Knowing the truth isn't enough. We have to believe it.

He sees to it that His people know and believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)