So Far

Friday, February 02, 2018

February 8, 2016

I celebrated six months of working at the library this week. In a lot of ways it seems like I've been there forever, but mostly it feels like I'm still the new kid on the block. Six months in, I can still say that I adore my job and the people that I work with. I feel extremely blessed to have the management team that I have. They love what they do and none of them are afraid of pitching in or taking time to answer questions.

It's been fun to learn how many of the people I've gotten to know since moving here are readers and library regulars! I used to run into a fair amount of them as a fellow patron. Seeing a familiar face pop through the door while I'm working makes my day every single time. It has made me wonder why "what are you reading" doesn't come up in regular conversation more often.

Along with the highs have been some very low lows. I knew that a fair amount of traffic would consist of people that really don't have anywhere else to go. At first, this really made me sad for them. I wondered what everyone's story was and found myself thinking about them when it would be especially cold or wet or just miserable during hours when the library was closed. I've also had to deal with some situations that I NEVER thought I would have had to deal with...at least, not on such a regular basis.

So far,  I've learned a few things...

* Plug your ears or be prepared to be told serious spoilers about every movie you've been meaning to watch.

* People LIE. About EVERYTHING. And they'll look you right in the face while they do it.

* People find the most hilarious things annoying. "He's yawning. Can you make him stop?"

* Helping people find books will never grow old.

* Being able to put the right book into someone's hands takes some serious talent. I'm still waiting on the moment when someone comes back to tell me that they LOVED a book I recommended.

* Seeing someone get excited over the prospect of a book you handpicked for them is delightful.

* Library books are seriously gross. I had nooooo idea I'd have to wash my hands so often.

* People use ODD things as bookmarks.

* People will ask you questions about anything and everything. 90% of my job is answering questions.

* The people who work in libraries are mostly serious introverts. If you run into one that seems bothered by your presence...just know they're probably just very uncomfortable or taxed from having to deal with people all day. They really do love their job and they're excited that you're there. I promise.

*My reading list is going to grow, but not as much as I thought it would. So far, I've discovered Snicket's "All The Wrong Questions" series and a book called "Writing Radar" which I've dubbed my "because I work in a library casualties."

* My most memorable find so far was a tube of toothpaste that came through the bookdrop. It was completely used up.

There's so much more I could say! For now...I'll leave you with this list. Life is strange. There are things that we have to do, whether we like it or not. There are people whose decisions affect us more than we imagined they ever could or would. And then, there are things that come along at just the right time. This job at this library is one of those things. I don't know where it is I'm off to, but the quiet dreams I've kept to myself for so long are seeing the light of day and you know, it's really nice.


Are you a library regular?

What's something you wish the staff at your library knew?








2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe it has been six months already! Are you serious!? It definitely sounds like an interesting job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It has made me wonder why "what are you reading" doesn't come up in regular conversation more often."

    YES! I wish I was asked that more often! Although maybe people are tired of hearing me talk about books!

    And SO interesting to read about working in the library. Almost every time I visit I think about how much I *might* like working there...besides having no qualifications other than reading a lot...

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)