Let's Garden

Saturday, May 02, 2015


It's no secret that gardening is one of my favorite hobbies! Aside from working alongside other gardeners, books are the place that I go when I need to learn more about a certain plant.

I have a small shelf dedicated to the books on gardening that I turn to again and again. My most recent addition to this shelf was the latest edition of "The Postage Stamp Vegetable Garden" by Karen Newcomb.

When it comes to gardening books, you never know what you're in for. Some books have a ton of information and no pictures. Other books have a bunch of pictures and yet don't tell you very much about actually caring for the plants. The best books are the ones that have the perfect balance of helpful information along with informative illustrations. 

I'll tell you right now: "The Postage Stamp Vegetable Garden" is most definitely part of the best books category! 

Let's take a peek inside so that you can see for yourselves! 


Newcomb begins the book by explaining the planning process. She shares her knowledge on how to figure out how many plants to plant, how much room they need, and how to arrange your garden, as well as the benefits that certain plants offer. Rather than just telling you to draw a diagram, Newcomb provides eleven diagram examples for her readers!

The helpful information continues throughout the rest of the book! She covers everything from the soil and watering to planting timelines and troubleshooting help. If you've ever thought about starting a garden of any size or have been gardening for years, this book will be an invaluable resource for you! 


I began my vegetable gardening journey in 2010. After hearing so many people talk about their failed gardening attempts, I decided to take it very slowly. Looking back, I'm so glad that I made that choice! Whenever I talk to someone who is thinking about gardening, I always give them the advice that has been my gardening game plan:

Choose one new vegetable each year and learn everything you can about it. 

Learn when to plant it, where to plant it, how much water it requires, how to care for it, when to harvest its produce, how to use or put up its harvest, and how to save its seeds. Each year, I've been forced to pour over a handful of gardening books, ask my friends, and occasionally look for articles online to get answers to all of my questions.

That hunt is over now that I have this book in my hands! I was super excited when I came across the section dedicated to telling you everything you need to know about pretty much any vegetable you would consider growing.
 

 "The Postage Stamp Vegetable Garden" will not disappoint! Like I said earlier, wherever you are as a gardener, this is a resource that will be sure to help you.  Grab your copy HERE.

If you ever have questions about gardening or just want to chat about it, please don't hesitate to e-mail me!!!

Do you grow vegetables?

If you aren't a gardener, what has held you back? 







* I was provided with a review copy of this book by Blogging for Books. All thoughts are my own honest opinion.

6 comments:

  1. I come from a family of gardeners (farmers, really, but flowers as well) and I've recently learned that I did not inherit a green thumb. How does one kill a succulent?

    I dream of a big back yard (at the least!) where I can grow my own veggies in a big raised bed. I don't know that I'll ever be back on the farm with a huge garden, but I'm afraid I could never manage that anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks super helpful! I've always wanted to start gardening but was overwhelmed with the process and upkeep. Thank you for sharing! What new vegetable are you growing this year?? :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds like such a winner! We had a vegetable garden for a couple of summers, but last year I decided it wasn't worth it because we're out of town so much in the summer and I didn't want the plants to die while we were away. So now I just plant a few herbs and some flowers. This year I added a couple of flowering bushes so we'll see how those go, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to plant a little veggie box on my patio... I need to get on it!! I got all the stuff last spring but got pregnant and lost the motivation. I MUST do it this year before it's too late!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds great but I have a black thumb. I killed a cacti so I'm not sure I need to garden. However, I would love to grow my own veggies but fear and time holds me back. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, this sounds like such a great book!! I've been thinking that I really need to brush up on my knowledge when it comes to gardening...usually I just through the seeds in the dirt (or in our inside garden area), water them, and call it good. Some of my plants aren't doing so well right now though, so I'm thinking I should learn what they actually need!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)