Reading Lately: January 2018

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

     

The Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers // The first book of 2018 called for a visit with one of my favorite authors. I'd been craving Sayers, so I found the shelf on the library where her books are kept and chose one I haven't read yet. I was disappointed to find that Harriet Vane wasn't in this one. I've always known that I adore her, but I didn't realize how much she influenced how much I enjoy Sayers's books. This one was good and I did enjoy it, but it definitely isn't where I'd suggest anyone start. In other words...It's no "Gaudy Night".


When Did You See Her Last by Lemony Snicket // This is book 2 in the "All the Wrong Questions" series. Snicket's style is as front and center as ever in these books and if you liked him then, you'll love him now. I can't stop taking reading breaks to fly through this series OR pushing it into the hands of readers who don't know what to read next.


Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum // I've been meaning to read this book for a few years now after seeing the cover highlight post after post on IG. I finished it because I just HAD to, but it really wasn't that great. The premise if this book was GOLDEN. The characters seemed real enough and the details of their lives aligned pretty well with the strange things we find ourselves up against. Overall, there was a lot of teenager drama,humor, and language that I just didn't appreciate.


   

Nothing Stays Buried by P.J. Tracy // I snagged this one after it came across my desk at the library. It's the most recent installment in a series written by a mother-daughter duo (and most likely the final one, as the mother has since passed away). Knowing that made it mean even more. Their writing reminded me of Dee Henderson's books. In short..I'm looking forward to going back to the beginning and making my way through the rest of the series.


Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman // This book club read was a great addition to January's stack. This one is for fans of "A Man Called Ove" for sure. You'll find yourself pitying Eleanor and yet cringing when you realize just how much you can relate to her. I'm convinced that's why everyone likes this book. Give it a read and let me know when you do!


A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle // This was a re-read in ONE DAY book. I started it in the morning, read some more on my break at work, and then curled up on the sofa to finish it that night. I was supposed to go to a discussion which is what inspired me to re-read it in the first place. I didn't go and yet, having that day to go back through this book having read so many more books and lived so many more days since my last time around was discussion enough.


That's January in books so far. I'm also currently reading the final book in the Maze Runner series and a memoir by Ruth Reichl.

What are you reading?



2 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of judging a book by its cover (I know, I know, I'm 12) and I LOVE the cover of Tell me 3 things! Also, I feel like everyone is talking about Eleanor Oliphant....I'll have to add it to my list! You'd be SO proud of me: I just finished my first book in FOREVER! I read The Rent Collector, and it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen "Tell Me Three Things" everywhere lately too!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)