Just Like Old Times

Saturday, January 05, 2013

Over the last few years I've become quite content to just stay home when I can. I used to be on the go at all times. If I wasn't having to go somewhere, I was figuring out a way to go somewhere or have people over. 

Learning to just BE has been a good lesson. A quiet soul is a blessing that I spent many years fighting against. 

Yesterday I got home and decided to pull a chair over to the fire, fix a cup of tea, grab a blanket, and start reading The Hobbit. 


As I set everything up, I realized that it was a cozy sight. I also realized it would make for some good practice with my camera.

The phone didn't ring (and if it would have, I wouldn't have answered it), no one came to the door, and I was content to sit alone by the fire.


When I was growing up I read a lot of historical fiction or bio/autobiographies (think Colonial America, Civil War, WWII, and Civil Rights). Occasionally, I would branch into mysteries and even less often I would venture into the likes of Lewis and L'Engle.

Oh...And I did read the first couple Harry Potter books. I just couldn't get into the whole sci-fi realm. I didn't care who was reading what, I just wasn't going to read about things that couldn't even be real.

Now that I'm older and somewhat wiser I realize that I may have written off a few pieces that are actually worth my time.

I mentioned my love/hate with Facebook. Facebook played a part in why I have decided to give Tolkien a chance. A friend posted these lines and I decided that Tolkien may just be a writer after my own heart,

    "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty wet hole...It was a        
    hobbit hole, and that means comfort." 



Then, I saw the movie and decided that reading The Hobbit MAY just turn out to be like sitting on my grandfather's lap hearing a story that he can see so clearly in his mind.

The purpose of the story isn't so much to tell about hobbits and dwarves and trolls as it is to teach me things about life that he has learned.

That is, after all, what every good story is really about. So, I came home and dug through boxes until I found a copy of the book.

I realize that I may finish reading it (or stop reading it all together) and realize that it is actually just a story about hobbits and dwarves and trolls.

For now, I'm hoping that the bits of eloquent wisdom that were said in the movie came from the book and that the book is full of such stuff.


In the pages of Tolkien's book, the description of the hobbit hole continues,

    "...provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats - the 
   hobbit was fond of visitors." 

Doesn't that sound wonderful? To have a house where you KEEP room for visitors. To keep lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats where they can come and settle in.

As much as I have learned to be content without the constant presence of people, I still love a good visit. I still long to have a home that is suited for company and lots of it.


I know there are several other lines that I could share with you...Lines that gave me the feeling I was hoping for. We'll see what I have to learn from this book. 

In the meantime, enjoy your Saturday! Maybe you will find yourself settled in with a good book. I hope so!

Have you read The Hobbit? 

What is one of your all time favorite books? 

Are you more of a mover and a shaker or a settler and loner? 

3 comments:

  1. That looks like such a cozy night in! I'm the same way...I love staying in and just relaxing, whereas I used to want to be on the go all the time.

    I need to read The Hobbit!

    Happy Saturday!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are just beautiful - you are truly talented, friend :) And I am right there with you, learning to be calm and just BE.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like such a cozy evening! I've never read the Hobbit, but the rest of my family LOVES it!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)