Breakfast Nachos

Tuesday, June 02, 2015


The latest hit to happen in our kitchen was Joy the Baker's Breakfast Nachos. I made them last Monday night because I was in the mood for something hearty, quick(ish), and that didn't require going to the store. I've had my eye on this recipe ever since I read Tracy's post last fall.

The recipe for Breakfast Nachos comes from Joy's second cookbook, Homemade Decadence, which I've talked about before. The cookbook is FULL of perfect recipes for any craving you have.

If you're looking for a dinner or lunch that's simple to make and will have people begging to dig in, go ahead and make this one!

You can view the original recipe HERE.

Here's my take:

Breakfast Nachos
adapted from Joy the Baker's Homemade Decadence

3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
4 good sized potatoes (or in my case, one JUMBO)
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb. Italian sausage, browned
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 slices American Cheese
2-4 Tbsp milk

TOPPINGS:
salsa
sour cream
green onions
avocado


Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with foil, spray with PAM or spread a little cooking oil to barely cover the bottom.

Slice potatoes into very thin slices (about 1/4 inch thick). Arrange on baking sheet (you may need two sheets) in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne over potatoes. Bake for 30 minutes, turning once. You may turn on the broiler for a few minutes at the end to achieve a nice crunch.

Meanwhile, brown your Italian sausage, adding the onion, fresh garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes towards the end of the cooking time.

Tear the American cheese slices into pieces no larger than 1/2 inch squares. Place them into a cereal bowl and top with a little milk. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time until melted, stirring in between each cooking time.

TO SERVE: Place potatoes in a circle, leaving a little room in the middle for the meat. Add your scoop of meat. Top with the cheese sauce and whatever toppings appeal to you!
BONUS: Joy and Tracy both recommend adding a fried egg to the top. If that's your thing, go for it!



What was your latest kitchen success? 

Do you have any favorite food bloggers?

6 comments:

  1. Oh my yum! I need to make these, like right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad I wasn't around to try them!! You will have to make them again sometime!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, these look amazing!! I have everything except the Italian sausage, so that's going on next week's grocery list ;-)

    My last cooking success was a steak sandwich from the Weber barbecue cookbook. We had leftover steak, so it was quick, easy, and delicious. And favourite food bloggers are the Pioneer Woman (obviously), Running with Spoons, Joyous Health, and recipes from my not-specifically-food-blogger friends such as yourself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummmm, these look SOOO delicious. Going to have to make this...soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)