Perfect Beach Read

Saturday, June 13, 2015


When I was a teenager, one of my favorite authors was Melody Carlson. She wrote a wide variety of books and they all had one thing in common, namely the fact that they never ceased to have me HOOKED.  Carlson writes novels that really don't have a lot of mystery or trouble to them. Her characters have average lives and tend to face the most ordinary of challenges. Every now and then I crave a story that is simple and really really good. That's when I look to Carlson!

"Once Upon a Summertime" happens to be Melody Carlson's latest release and it did not disappoint. The fact that this book was set in New York City basically meant that it was the perfect book to be part of my summer reading! When I realized that Anna, the main character, would be attempting to leave the small town she had grown up in and moved back to after college, I was hooked.

New York City fascinates so many people. "Once Upon a Summertime" was the perfect chance to sneak away to the city without leaving my newest reading nook. I loved Anna and her grandmother and the way that Carlson described the city, its sights, and life in it. I think she did a fantastic job!

For those of you who read books for the conversations and the interactions between characters, this book has that too! As the cover suggests, romance takes a part in the plot. What I love about Carlson is that she doesn't let things get carried away and totally admits when she's being cheesy.


If you're looking for a beachy read, this is one to consider for sure! If you're anything like me, you won't be able to put it down.  I'm so glad that Carlson continues to write. All these years later, she's still one of my favorites!

Get your copy HERE.

Are there any authors you've loved since you were a teenager?

Is there a setting that will cause you to read a book? 


* I was provided with a review copy of this book by Revell. All thoughts are my own honest opinion. 

6 comments:

  1. This sound great! I love a nice simple storyline every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking for a good beach read!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, a new Melody Carlson book? I've read almost all of her books and loved going through all of her YA series during the summers as a teen. I'm going to have to see if my library has this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like such a good book!! I read some of her books back in the day too...so cool that she's still writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Francine Rivers is an author I loved as a teenager and still love today! This book sounds really cute. I'm going to add it to my Goodreads! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)