Lens Revolution: Understanding Aperture

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

My photography hobby started very young. My parents got me my first "real" camera for my 11th birthday. I still have that camera and several albums full of pictures that I took with it. When I turned 16, they got me my first digital camera. I've had a few cameras since then and I am the resident photographer for all the happenings around our house. It wasn't until I bought my first DSLR from a friend a few years ago that I decided a class might be nice. 

Ever since that class, I always jump at the chance to challenge myself and to learn more about what makes for a great photo. When Samantha announced that she would be hosting a 10 week photography challenge, I knew I needed to join in! 

This week, our assignment was to learn more about aperture and shutter speed. I set up this little scene in my living room and then used my Canon Rebel XTi with a 50mm lens and my brother's tripod to take a hand full of shots using the apertures that Samantha assigned.



FIRST SHOT

F-Stop: 1.8  Shutter Speed: 1/6  ISO: 200


SECOND SHOT 

F-Stop: 5.6  Shutter Speed: 1.3  ISO: 200



THIRD SHOT

F-Stop: 7.1  Shutter Speed: 2  ISO: 200


FOURTH SHOT

F-Stop: 11  Shutter Speed: 5  ISO: 200



FIFTH SHOT

F-Stop: 16  Shutter Speed: 10  ISO: 200


SIXTH SHOT

F-Stop: 20  Shutter Speed: 10  ISO: 200


SEVENTH SHOT

F-Stop: 22 Shutter Speed: 15  ISO:200

This week's homework taught me that the higher the aperture, the more crisp and clear every detail is in the shot. It makes perfect sense when I stop to think about it! Just look at the wood on each camel's neck. Since I was using a tripod (I almost NEVER use a tripod when I take pictures), I also played around with the focus points too!

What's YOUR photography story?

Are you going to take part in Samantha's Lens Revolution? 

Do tripods make you want to pull out your hair?


Be sure to check out Samantha's blog for the next assignment!

4 comments:

  1. That is so cool. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! This is so great! I love what you photographed as well! I'm so glad you joined in! I can't wait to see more of your work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cool to see the differences! I really need to play with our DSLR more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love watching the texture change! It is crazy how the aperture changes so much the focus of your eye when you look at each photo!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)