Homeschooling

Thursday, September 10, 2009


I'm an education major with the hope of homeschooling my own children some day and lately I find myself thinking about all the methods, options, styles, etc. etc...

If you were homeschooled, are homeschooled, or are homeschooling - would you please share your experience with me? Tell me about the "method(s)" you use. Tell me what a typical day looks like for you family. Tell me what programs you think everyone should use. Tell me what you don't like or do like about your experience.

I'll share more about my hopes and dreams in this area later...For now, I just want to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't simply thinking about all the curriculum out there overwhelming? I've never used Alpha and Omega, so I'd be interested in hearing someone's opinion about that. For my high school years we did Bob Jones Homesat program which broadcasts lessons over a satellite, you record them, and then watch them. Although I liked it and it is definitely good for huge families, I probably wouldn't use it for my kids. However, I LOVE BJU books because they are so complete, authoritative, and incorporate Christianity into EVERY subject. So their History, English, Science, Literature, Government/Economics...I love all of those. For math before high school I used the Professor B books which focus on explaining the why behind the math rather than simply saying "memorize the quadratic formula." They also do a lot of review and use innovative methods, so it was a great fit for my learning style, but maybe not for others.
    Yikes--long comment, but I hope it was what you were looking for!
    I hope school's going well for you!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Victoria! I've been having really similar thoughts myself lately on this topic! Great minds think alike aye?! My pastor's family has been homeschooling their 15 yr old son through Abeka videos and he loves it. It seems like a great way to learn and it helps him to not feel like he's alone in his schooling. I've been pondering using it with my own kids someday.... Take care, friend!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)