"A Quest for More"

Thursday, May 24, 2012

I think I've told you about the stash of awesome books that I received for Christmas last year. I haven't been reading nearly as much as I should, but I just might make it through them before this next Christmas rolls around.

Lately, I have been reading this lovely book.


Every chapter begins with a question that gets you thinking about how the truths that you will be reading apply to your own life. In other words, how you tend to act like you instead of like Christ. That's how Tripp works, calling out sin and pointing towards righteousness. That's good stuff.

Those are the kinds of authors, pastors, preachers, and friends we need to keep near us.

"But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called 'today',
that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin."
Hebrews 3:13

That's a big responsibility. The human relationships that we are forming are mainly about helping us NOT become hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. Let me tell you, if you haven't figured this out yet, not only is sin deceitful, but so is the heart. We have got to be purposefully pursuing an openness towards these kinds of exhortations that will call us to be more like Christ. 

Back to the book....Tripp also opens every chapter with a single statement that basically summarizes whatever he is about to say in that chapter. It makes the truth he's seeking to communicate very clear and leaves you ready to dig deeper. 

He closes every chapter with a final question that ties everything you've just been reading, considering, and thinking together in a way that brings it HOME. 
 
 ***********

I have some news to share...

#1 on my sidebar there are now several ways for you to subscribe to my blog if you haven't already. I haven't decided which of the three options will stay on the sidebar yet. What do you think? 

#2 While I was writing this post the exact thing I was talking about happened. I'm eating almonds, blogging, and talking on the phone with a friend who I am buying a camera from. The almonds get dipped into, I am asked to move to a different computer (twice), and there are already plans being made for others to use my camera. No big deal, right? Yeah, I'm a sinner, so it was kind of a big deal. 

#3 I decided to go for it. I'm buying my first SLR camera. These days it seems like everyone is a photographer, everyone has a nice camera, and when everyone is doing it, that usually kills whatever desire I may have had to do it. I've gone back and forth for quite a while. The right deal came my way. This camera should be in hands very soon!



This post was powered by this little snack...God's grace...and of course Blogger.

1 comment:

  1. oh this is some seriously good stuff. must read this book soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)