Open Letters pt. 4

Friday, September 14, 2018

June 19, 2018
I've had some words on my mind for a few days. It's feeling very much like fall. Schedules have shifted. People have turned their attention to putting one foot in front of the other instead of skipping around in summer mode. I've been wearing hoodies and leggings and drinking hot drinks every chance I get. The light is changing. The first of the leaves are falling. Summer of 2018 is settling into our memory banks. 

It was a good summer. I've got to get things worked out to share with you here. Until then...Let's get to another round of letters.


Dear Ghiddu,

I still don't eat the crusts of my sandwiches. You were the only one I could convince to cut them off so I didn't have to bother eating around them. Did you know that? I do eat some of them, just not the last two corners worth.

Dear Roald Dahl, 

One of my favorite library moments happened yesterday and I owe you for it. It was a quiet day. Kids are back in school, the tourists have gone home for the season, and the youngest moms haven't discovered the role the public library plays in their sanity yet. I was out in the stacks doing some shelf reading when I heard the familiar back and forth between a grandfather and his grandkids. They were looking for something and didn't know how to find it and he didn't either and so he was trying to encourage them to ask for help. For whatever reason, an adult behind a desk is SCARY. But, a woman hunched over in front of a shelf is always approachable. The little girl came up to me while her grandfather looked on and I said, "Can I help you find something?" She told me she was looking for Matilda. My eyes lit up! 

I got up off of the floor and said, "Oh, that's exciting! Do you know what today is?" She didn't, but I made sure to tell her so that she would...I told her about how it was your birthday and we walked over to the shelf where your books are kept and at the last second, I realized that Matilda was in after all even though it was out of place. 

I placed the book into her hands and she proceeded to wander around the library following her little sister with her nose buried in your book. That alone would have brought me joy, but the fact that it was happening all these years later on your birthday made it mean even more to me. 

Thanks for writing. Thanks for heading out to the little shed in your backyard and pulling out your yellow pad and keeping your pencils sharpened and spending so much time in that armchair. I don't know if what they say about you and children is true, but you've given us all so many hours of enjoyment. You've taught us to be honest about what scares us and you revealed the ugliest parts of us so that we can see how foolish it is to be ugly and mean and rude.

Thanks for giving me that moment with that little girl. And for all those hours in fourth grade when my teacher introduced you to us. 

You had a gift and you didn't keep it to yourself. We haven't forgotten  you and I'm not sure that we ever will. 

Dear People, 

You're all breathing your sighs of relief over how cool it is outside and how perfect it is. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!? It's cold. This weather is perfect cozy up inside with a bowl of soup and hot bread weather. A nice Indian Summer COULD be on its way and I'm just going to warn you. You'll complain about how it is and I'll be soaking up every last ray of sun that I can. It's going to be winter before we know it, so let's welcome all the sun and warm days we can. K? 

Dear 28,

You're here and so far you've been nice. Welcoming you in was special. Looking back on 27 made me realize just how much you have to compete with. The year behind me was one of my best yet in terms of growing and facing things head on and learning to be okay. Can you do me a favor and bring on more of the same? Be gentle about it, but I'm ready. 


I hope you've got a lovely weekend ahead of you! Do you have any plans? Tell me about them, will ya?


4 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to the fall weather, but I could do without the hurricane being the one to usher it in. I think we'll have a few more nice days before the leaves start really changing and such, at least here in VA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot you're a September birthday, too!!!!!!!!! Happy belated bday!!!!!!!! I turn 27 on Thursday so we're almost exactly bday buddies :)

    Also. My all-time favorite and the most true thing I've ever read: "and the youngest moms haven't discovered the role the public library plays in their sanity yet" HAHAHA I remember when that was me and Aiden was (in my mind) "too young for story time" and then when I discovered the library, I suddenly had plans for the day! And new friends! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recounting of finding the book for the little girl had me all AWWW. I can see you there in your element helping others find and enjoy good books.

    I am not complaining about the weather here. It's January now and we are having days with temps in the 60's and 70's. I've found over the years that it is a good thing to be content no matter what the weather. It all changes so quickly. So I'm with you on the "enjoy it while it lasts" idea.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mehmaw7:29 AM

    I cant wait to read Dear 29!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)