In the Word

Monday, March 08, 2010



I am in the middle of writing a research paper and I came across this verse from Genesis 18:19. It's nothing extremely profound, but it really stuck out to me today.

In the past year or so I've really been in awe of the fact that I am known by God. So often, we glory in knowing God. Don't get me wrong, knowing God is wonderful. BUT, it's only possible for me to know God because He knew me first.

For more info on this, you can check out J.I. Packer's "Knowing God". Here's a brief line on it.

All of that sort of builds up to why I am was so excited over this verse.

In Genesis 18:19, God says,
"For I have known him (Abraham), in order that he may command his children and his household after him, that they keep the way of the Lord, to do righteousness and justice, that the Lord may bring to Abraham what He has spoken to him."

What a great reminder that our salvation is not merely about us. God has a mission that came way before us and extends way beyond us. God knew Abraham so that he would be used to instruct others who would know God and live like it.

God knows me for the same reason.


1 comment:

  1. I loved your sentence "God has a mission that came way before us and extends way beyond us" and I love seeing the scope of God's plan in the Old Testament! What an encouragement that is!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)