The Scenic Route

Monday, November 05, 2012

The first Monday of November. Some people are clinging to fall. Some people are jumping right into Christmas.

A few weeks ago, I began to ask myself what was special about November. What do we enjoy in November that we don't necessarily have the chance to enjoy the rest of the year? I couldn't really answer it.


My mother, being the wise woman that she is, said, "November is the time to just keep enjoying fall."

She might have a point. Come November, we're still wearing sweaters and boots and scarves. We're still drinking cider and cooking with apples and pumpkins. We're still having fires and curling up with blankets. The nights are still coming sooner. In November, it's (mostly) still fall.


One thing that sets November apart is the fact that people are starting to get into the spirit of Christmas (even if they don't realize it yet). Many people spend November dwelling on all the things that they are thankful for. When December rolls around most people are full of JOY. They are nicer and happier and pretty excited about life and the coming of the new year.

I think that the thankfulness they stirred up in November probably plays a big part in their JOY during December.

Remember the cycle of joy I mentioned? Yeah...I'm sticking to believing in that.




Time for a list of  fall things I am thankful for:

* hot drinks - cocoa, coffee, tea, you name it, I love it


* holidays - my "little" brother turns 20 this year and  who doesn't love Thanksgiving 



* the COLORS 


* the fact that I am pretty much forced to sit down and read more

* the feeling of newness and slowing down and starting over

* getting our homes ready for the winter

* rain



* the clothes

* bringing out new candles

* baking again

* making lots and lots of comfort food



What are some of your favorite fall things? 

Have you been remembering that the Lord is at hand? Has that had you rejoicing always and thanking and praising? 

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday to your brother. My little sister just turned 20 last month too. November is definitely an extension of fall. Time to think of what we are thankful for and those we love. And, also a time to help us get into gear for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)