The Scenic Route

Monday, November 12, 2012

I am very happy to be able to report that Friday's dinner turned out pretty awesome! Crepes, ricotta cheese, cream cheese, and blueberry sauce. Pair it with breakfast sausage and you have everything you need.


The rest of the weekend I enjoyed plenty of tea, reading, a few games of Huggermugger, a movie called "Columbus Circle", and a dinner in with friends. Somehow, it just kind of flew by. *Note- The movie was pretty good. Quite a bit of language but very clean otherwise.*

Anyway...What I'm really wanting to tell you about are the events of this morning.

I woke up to find that it snowed last night. Things were looking bright and white. As the morning has progressed, things are warming up and starting to get pretty slushy.




I was moving at a snail's pace and one thing after another seemed to be going wrong. Seriously, it was going so wrong that I have been on the verge of breaking into hysterical laughter!

Over the weekend I came across this recipe and decided to make it this morning for breakfast.

via


Care for a piece of advice? It's a piece of advice I have given myself over and over again. I heard it from my Mom for years. I didn't listen to her and I don't listen to me. Listen! It'll just make your life a lot easier! The advice is this: when trying a new recipe, TRUST them, use what they say, and don't skimp or make substitutions.

Why am I telling you this? Oh, simply because this morning as I was attempting to make caramel sauce things didn't go so well all because I didn't listen.

There I was in my pajamas attempting to make caramel sauce without 1/2 & 1/2 or cream. I found a recipe that called for milk instead. I should have known better. It didn't work. I threw that away.

Round two, I used a recipe that called for cream and used a little less milk than the cream it called for. The result? Caramel sauce that tastes awesome but looks nothing like caramel. Maybe I could have just cooked it longer and that would have made it look right? After throwing out one batch, I didn't chance it.

Meanwhile, I'm making the dough for the cinnamon rolls...The dough just didn't turn out right either. I'm blaming it on the weather.   That shape? Yeah, I can't take credit for that. That's how it looked when I plopped it out of the bowl. It's a lesson in geography.



By this time, I was listening. I did exactly what the lady said. I should have added some extra milk because the dough that was supposed to be STICKY was pretty dry. I didn't add the milk. I followed the recipe and the sage wisdom I just shared with you.

So, there I was. Still in my pajamas. Still too lazy to get dressed and go to the store. Still trying to listen not listen and turn out some cinnamon rolls for breakfast.

It's now just after noon. I am showered and dressed. I finally ate one of those cinnamon rolls.

On this day, and always, get dressed. Go to the store. Follow the recipe.

In the meantime, enjoy this not quite fall not quite winter stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)