Dying to Live

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Tuesday marked the 57th anniversary of the murder of Jim Elliot, Ed McCulley, Roger Youderian, Pete Fleming, and Nate Saint. If these names are unfamiliar to you, GOOGLE! 

Basically, they were men who gathered together, moved their families, and sought to minister to a tribe of Auca Indians who were in great need of the gospel. In a very unexpected turn of events, these five men were murdered by a group of the indians. 

Their families did not give up! Eventually, the Gospel was embraced by these people and the wives and children of these men were very glad to finish the work they were originally brought to do. 


Since then, books have been written and movies have been made....One famous quote which was found in Jim Elliot's journals goes like this:

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."

Elliot was 28 when he was killed....28 and he already GOT what it meant to really live. 

57 years ago, these men finished giving what the could never keep. The day is coming when all of God's people will enjoy the gain they have in Him, forever. 


I've been thinking a lot this week. Looking back on this, reading Packer's "A Passion for Faithfulness", and continuing to study God's Word has been holding my focus. 

I've come to see a little more clearly that so many of the struggles in life (at least my life) come about when I'm straining to keep a firm grasp on things that I cannot keep

I struggle to maintain a reputation. I struggle to maintain certain relationships. I struggle to make my life pleasant and comfortable. I struggle to make good decisions. 

None of that is bad in and of itself...But in all of it, my aim is just that, ME. 



There is a verse that I've had on my mind. It comes from 2 Peter 1:3

"His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us to His own glory and excellence..." 

All things have been granted to me when it comes to living and becoming like Christ. I don't have to struggle. They are MINE. 

The eternal life that is mine in Christ, has been mine all along. I'm living that life, the good life, right now. 

In Christ is everything that is mine, everything that is worth having, and everything I can't lose. 


On earth, there are things grasping to make me theirs. These things are not worth having or serving and they are everything I can't keep. 

If you're like me, you struggle to make your life a good one. You struggle to make your influence a blessing. 

If you're like me, you need to be reminded that Christ has struggled so that you could focus on something else

"...God chose you as the first fruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth. To this He called you through our gospel, so that you may obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ."
 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14

You were saved and you are still here on earth so that you can proclaim the Christ! Christian, you'll feel empty and anxious until you are pouring your life out for the mission that belongs to you. 

What's God been teaching you?

Who is someone who inspires you to really LIVE? 


1 comment:

  1. Their story absolutely humbles me every time i read/hear it.
    I watched a documentary on them while in school and it was incredible.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)