OPEN

Saturday, January 19, 2013

A few nights ago I was sitting on the couch and just had the urge to get up to do some clutter busting. After things were put away, I ended up vacuuming, getting rid of the dust, and cleaning the glass table. 

That burst of energy and motivation came out of absolutely nowhere. 

Yesterday, I got a call from my friend Amber. She and her husband were planning on taking a trip this weekend and were hoping to stop by to see me. She was calling to ask if they could stay the night. 

Of course, I said they could. This meant I had some serious work to do. Thankfully, the "worst" of it was behind me since I had just cleaned the area they would be staying in the night before.

Yesterday I pulled out my recipe book and set out to make chicken burritos for dinner (repurposing the left over "chicken tortilla soup" I had made the night before) along with blueberry muffins and a sausage egg casserole for breakfast today. 

It turns out, they got on the road way later than they had hoped and they didn't get here until nearly 11 last night. 

None of that really matters....What matters is, I love it when spontaneous things happen and WORK OUT in spite of the total lack of planning. 

Even though I had no idea they would be coming, I got a head start on preparing for their visit. Then, because of their delays, I was given LOTS of extra time to get everything ready.

They are gone now...The house is quiet, I'm sitting down to read and eat a leftover chicken burrito. 

One word is on my mind, THANKFUL.

Today I am thankful for friends, being able to sit and visit in person, roads that make traveling possible, a place to offer to people who "need" it, and the bond that we have in Christ. 

If we weren't Christians, I don't know how I would have met Amber. If we weren't Christians, I don't know what we would have in common. Because of Christ, Amber and I met and became fast friends. Because of Christ, Amber and I have maintained that friendship even though we rarely get to see each other and sometimes go MONTHS without even being able to catch up on the phone. 

Maybe you have a friend you need to visit...Maybe you have a room to pick up just because...Maybe you have a book to read and left overs to eat. 

Amber won't read this, but I'm thankful for the opportunity she gave me to SEE her and host GUESTS all at the same time. 

Saturday mornings spent quietly visiting with my Mom and waiting for the house to wake up while I putter around getting a buffet ready are some of my favorite days. 

You may or may not have much to offer, but open up and let people in. You'll be glad you did! 


3 comments:

  1. Truth! We all have something to offer whether we know it or not. I love being a Christian, because I have so many friends who have totally different stories than me, but we are able to connect because of our relationship with God and are able learn from each other’s experiences and grow together.

    Hi! My name is victoria, and I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you were able to spend time with your friends, and that you were already getting things done before they even said "hey can we swing by?!" i love it when that happens ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it sounds like a sweet time! I love it when preparing for spontaneous visits isn't stress-filled, but is peaceful!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)