Jesus Savior

Monday, April 08, 2013

I did not grow up singing hymns. The churches I've been to have usually sung the new "praise and worship" songs with a random hymn thrown in here and there. It wasn't until I began singing hymns with some friends that LOVE them that I realized that I was missing out. 

Since that time, I've come to have several favorites. Honestly, I haven't memorized every single word of any of my favorite hymns. The lines that I have learned come back to me over and over again. 

One such hymn is "Jesus Savior, Pilot Me". Today, I'm taking you on a trip to Cape Cod and through the lines of a hymn that has encouraged my soul over and over again. 




Jesus, Savior, pilot me
Over life’s tempestuous sea;
Unknown waves before me roll,
Hiding rock and treacherous shoal.
Chart and compass come from Thee;
Jesus, Savior, pilot me.


 While th’Apostles’ fragile bark
Struggled with the billows dark,
On the stormy Galilee,
Thou didst walk upon the sea;
And when they beheld Thy form,
Safe they glided through the storm.







Though the sea be smooth and bright,
Sparkling with the stars of night,
And my ship’s path be ablaze
With the light of halcyon days,
Still I know my need of Thee;
Jesus, Savior, pilot me.




 When the darkling heavens frown,
And the wrathful winds come down,
And the fierce waves, tossed on high,
Lash themselves against the sky,
Jesus, Savior, pilot me,
Over life’s tempestuous sea.




As a mother stills her child,
Thou canst hush the ocean wild;
Boisterous waves obey Thy will,
When Thou sayest to them, “Be still!”
Wondrous Sovereign of the sea,
Jesus, Savior, pilot me.




 When at last I near the shore,
And the fearful breakers roar
’Twixt me and the peaceful rest,
Then, while leaning on Thy breast,
May I hear Thee say to me,
“Fear not, I will pilot thee.”

I don't know what "season" it is in your life right now. What I do know is that Jesus is THERE, piloting His people. Not only does He have chart and compass, He is THE chart and compass. Draw near to God....Draw near to God. 

Colossians 1:17 says, "And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together." 

Hebrews 1:3 says, "He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of His nature, and He upholds the universe by the word of His power." 

This Jesus is Savior and yet He is sooooo much more. Know Him! 

Do you have a favorite hymn? 

What are some of your favorite Bible verses that have led you to know Jesus?






2 comments:

  1. My husband was the worship director at our church and he'd lead the congregation in updated hymns. They often have so much more depth than the modern day worship songs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these pictures are just beautiful! And I love how you paired the words of the hymn with it. So so inspiring and beautiful. Thanks for sharing this dear! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)