He Holds the Future

Wednesday, September 11, 2013


 
Last Thursday I wrote about how uncertainty and anxiety are connected. Even though I was writing about things that I am SURE of, I couldn't give an answer that satisfied me. 

I see the problem. I see the root. And yet, I can't fully grasp the solution. I still don't have an answer, but this week, God has shown me at least two PIECES of the solution. 

One came by way of a John Piper quote that someone shared...The quote came out of a book of his that I read several years ago called "Future Grace". The quote is this:
 

"We fight anxieties by fighting against unbelief and fighting for faith in future grace. And the way you fight this 'good fight' is by meditating on God's assurances of future grace and by asking for the help of His Spirit."


The other came from this blog post written by Emily Freeman about the movement that makes a difference. 

So the point is this - anxiety is real and, as best I can tell, it is caused by uncertainty. As a Christian, the fact is, uncertainty does not come from faith. Simply put, what doesn't come from faith is sin. I am a sinner. Saved by grace, yes...but still a sinner. I NEED that grace CONSTANTLY. I will be uncertain, I will be anxious. I will sin. I need grace and an unlimited supply of it is mine. 
 
 
When I am uncertain, I need to go to the presence of God. That is the ONLY place where I can be certain...My certainty in that place tells me that WHATEVER it is about the future that I'm struggling with will be accompanied by grace from God

I can't be sure about the future, but I can be sure of the grace God will supply me with when that future comes.

He HOLDS the future. He HOLDS me. And He isn't about having His people wander about without His grace.

The struggle isn't over. I can't seem to fully understand the answer. 

I have Christ and I can go into His presence. There I will find the pieces that I need. Pieces of truth that will feed my soul and keep me moving along through this thing called life. 
 

Any "change" I "make" isn't really good for much and will only stay "changed" so long as that's what my sinful self deems "best"....

What is very good and does stay is the presence of God. That's where I need to go. Care to join me there? 


1 comment:

  1. You have a beautiful heart my friend!
    My mom used to remind me that we only have the grace for today and to place the future in his hands. Still helps me to this day.
    Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)