What They Do To Me

Wednesday, May 27, 2015


13 or 14 year old Victoria and the Walkman that went EVERYWHERE.

Music has always been a huge part of my life. Every car ride in the summer came with windows rolled down and music so loud you couldn't help but sing along. My teachers probably broke so many rules...We listened to their music at the end of most days in 5th grade, in math class on certain days, and on circuit day in PE. My friend Lexi always listened to music that no one else had ever heard of, but that was always really good.  My friends and I spent so many weekends making up dance routines and never turned down a karaoke night.

The other day my friend Megan posted her top five seven songs and it made me want to come up with my own list. Narrowing it was way harder than I thought it would be! Here are nine that I came up with:

Drops of Jupiter by Train - I'm pretty sure it's no exaggeration to say that every mixtape I ever burned has this song on it. I sang it so much that my Mom even knows most of the words. It's so sad and so happy and reminds me of some of the best years of my life so far. The only thing this song got wrong is that heaven is overrated. It's definitely not!

Kryptonite by Three Doors Down - In junior high all of my friends loved this song. Whenever I hear it, I go right back to the year that everyone in my class called it their favorite. We sang it at the top of our lungs every single chance we got.

Wake Up Nico by Jill Andrews - This is one of those songs that always cheers me up. It makes me think of the time I spent helping my friend Heidi when her second baby was born.

A Thousand Things or You've Got a Home by Christa Wells - Just before I turned 20, I moved to Massachusetts to do student teaching. It was a dream come true, but my time there came to an end. The first song reminds me of the struggle I went through as I learned that God truly does have the whole world in His hands. The second one reminds me of the way the people who were perfect strangers welcomed me into their homes and lives when I moved to Massachusetts.

Remark by Rachel Platten - This song says it all. Yes, it's like that.

Thy Way, Not Mine by The New Attitude Band - I liked this one the first time I heard it when I was 17 or 18. I had no idea that it would become an anthem that would get me through college and my early 20's.

Take Me There by Trip Lee and Jimmy Neeham - I listened to this song soooo many times when I was on my way to the ranch for a cooking day with Darlene and Anna a few Fridays ago. As you can tell, I like songs that give me a reality check!

Hot Diggity by Perry Como - My Grandma was always whistling or singing songs. ALWAYS. It was usually just a few lines or the chorus. This particular song is one that I just love. It takes me back to the  little table in their kitchen or running errands or sitting in the backseat on a trip to visit one of my aunts. It gets bonus points because it also reminds me of my Gramps saying, "Hot dog!" about everything.


Honorable mentions go to Tedashii, Macy Gray, Nelly Furtado, Cher, Savage Garden, Cheryl Crow, Avril Lavigne, Baha Men, Matchbox 20, Creed, B*Witched, Aerosmith, Shania Twain, Alicia Keys, and everything Reach Records.

I was SUCH a 90's child.


What are some of your favorite songs and what do they do to you? 

What era does your music say you belong to?

4 comments:

  1. Savage Gardennnn! I still break out dancing and lip-syncing if one of their songs comes on when I'm out in public! This may or may not have just happened this past week at the grocery store, haha! My fav!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of you is adorable! Love it! Oh, B*Witched! Haha. I was in Britain the summer of '98 when they were really getting popular there. I was 13. My host 'sister' just loved them and got me hooked. I brought a CD home with my, and my friends here just couldn't figure out the fascination til a bit later. Haha. I think it'd take me a month to narrow down a list. Music is ALWAYS with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, YES to all of these! The 90's and early 2000's really did have some of the best music :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Savage Garden... so glad they made it to your honorable mentions. I love them still! Also, the first two songs you mentioned up there are great! I haven't heard the others so I have them all opened in tabs so I can go through and listen to them all. :) It sounds like we have a lot of music likes in common!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)