Two Days

Sunday, December 24, 2017

December 15, 2017

This year, I have the shortest Christmas break that I think I've ever had. Between the show we're just finishing up and the next few shows on our list (we're back to having multiple shows going on at the same time) and work and commitments, I have exactly two days with my family. And even those aren't going to be without interruptions. I'm looking forward to cooking some FOOD and maybe watching a Christmas movie or two. I'm hoping this SNOW is joined by some sunshine so that I can take a long walk in it. I'd like to play some games and I'd like us all to put everything else aside for at least part of one day just to BE together. 

It's Christmas Eve and another day of me waking up far earlier than I need to. The words are here, so I'm doing what I've been doing. I opened the curtains and turned on a couple of lamps and crawled back into bed with a cup of coffee to make the most of these hours I'll have to myself. With Christmas and New Years and Epiphany all stacked up, it's easy to think back and to think ahead in wonder at the same time. There are people and times and traditions that we're missing. There are hopes and dreams that we're still hanging onto even all these years later. There are special plans that we're looking forward to. There is rest we know we'll be enjoying very soon. 

This time of year has always been my favorite. There's something about closing out the year with holiday after holiday dedicated to food and family with our minds set on what's really important in life. 

October 31st reminds us of the dual between dark and light. The legacy of those who labored so hard for the truth becomes real to us again. Then, at the end of November, we turn our minds to just how much we have to be grateful for. 

No sooner is the food put away, than we pull out the lights and the music and start rounding up the wrapping paper and those boxes full of memories that we hang all throughout our homes. We smile and there's a little dose of magic in the air. December becomes the month where so many of us quiet our souls with reality. Christ came and He's coming again. 

Before we know it, it's all over. The year. The parties. The breaks. Another January begins and we all resolve to put our best foot forward. Five days later, a few of us remember the wisemen and the trip they made and we thank God for the gift of faith He gave them and that He is giving us. 

We all celebrate in our own ways. Many of our traditions are passed down to us. Others are works of our own imagination. We mark the days and set them aside and fill them to the full with whatever it is that each one calls for. There's a skip in our step even though we all know things are the same underneath. Each of these days is just another day, but somehow, they're special. 

As they should be. 

Wherever you are. Whoever you're with. I hope this holiday season has been and continues to be a time of refreshment. May the time to be with the ones you love grant you perspective that will be helpful in the year ahead of us. Whether you have two days or two weeks, there's room for what's important. 

There's always room. 

Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)