A Novel For You

Saturday, July 11, 2015



"The Mapmaker's Children" by Sarah McCoy may be historical fiction set in the time of the civil war, but it truly is a one of a kind.  There are some books that you just can't put down even though you're enjoying them so much that you don't want them to ever come to an end. That was this book!

You'll flip back and forth between a group of Union supporters from the 1800's and a woman struggling through life in the present day. These characters have histories that have been researched (some of them were real people) and carefully constructed. Their lives, though centuries apart, are tied together in a way that is mesmerizing.

McCoy managed to tell everyone's story in a way that makes her readers eager to keep reading! Just when you think you'll predict what's going to happen next, you'll be surprised to find how McCoy directed the story. I especially enjoyed reading about the Underground Railroad, the family of John Brown, and the beauty that a sleepy West Virginia town holds.


I laughed. I cried. I was horrified. I gasped. McCoy's book shows a certain excellence that is missing in a lot of writing that is being published today. Whether you think historical fiction is your thing or not, pick it up and get ready for a novel you'll really enjoy!

Pick up your copy here!

Have you read any of McCoy's books? 

What's a book that you've really enjoyed recently?




* I was provided a review copy by the publisher. All thoughts are my own, honest opinion! 

7 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, ma'am. I'm in! Right after I finish ATLWCS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on hold at my library right now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this sounds good! Adding to my "to read" list for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful. I love historical fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooow, historical fiction--an old favorite genre of mine. It does sound really good! Was it confusing to jump between time periods?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mehmaw7:22 AM

    Why must I read about this on your blog?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)