Just Thinking

Friday, January 16, 2009

Thoughts...We all have millions of them each day. What do you think about? Success, family, food, things to do, fun, the latest gadget- I'll let you fill in the blank. 

I think about so many things in a given day. What to serve for dinner, whatever I'm learning in school, things to do, places to be, whatever I've been reading, friends, God, and the future. 

The future.....That's a big one for me. It's right up there with God and His Word. Lately I've been hearing a lot about how "the end is near". I'm sure that every generation has said that, but God promised Jesus' return and as His child it is my responsibility to be ready for it. The sermons I've been hearing on the end times as well as the recent power outages we've faced, have got me pondering what does lie ahead. But more specifically, what if the end truly is near?

Am I ready? 

Can I surrender my dreams for "my" future and live today not in hopes of all that could lie ahead in the worldly sense, but rather in hopes of eternity with God? 

I'm not sure. I so want all the things that the partnership called marriage and the joy of motherhood have to offer. Reckoning with the fact that Jesus may return before that takes place is not easy for me to swallow. Why?

Because I have wrapped myself up in the here and now rather than the Him and His. May the words of Paul become the cry of my heart instead! 

But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him.
Philippians 3:7-9a

This is a move I will not regret, no matter what the future holds. Won't you join me in surrendering all your tomorrows to the One who holds them anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)