The Chocolate Chip Cookie Compromise

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

I remember first discovering Joy Wilson's blog. Before there was such a thing as a food blog, I scoured All Recipes like it was my job. Then one day I came across a picture of some brownies (which I haven't even made to this day)  that Joy had made and I was hooked! 

Joy is funny and real and she *mostly* makes food that average people will eat. Oh, and she recently moved to New Orleans just because she wanted to.  I think I have read every post she's ever posted at Joy the Baker and I have so many of her recipes in my recipe book. I talk about Joy like she is my friend...

When I am in the mood for a baking session or need a new recipe for a party or it's Sunday morning and I just need to make something, I almost always look to Joy...

 In my house there is a chocolate chip cookie debate. Ever since I was 8, I've been using the recipe on the back of the TollHouse bag. I can turn out cookies that are flat and slightly undercooked and those are my favorite. 

Everyone loves my cookies, except my Mom. She likes her cookies to be fat and crispy (her favorites are the ones that all the older ladies always turn out). While I'm happy with my cookies I've always wanted to make a cookie that my Mom would like. So, when Joy posted her recipe, I had to give it a go.

The result? The perfect compromise! Why am I not surprised? 

I'm convinced that it's the refrigerated dough, the molasses, the sugar ratio, the browned butter, and the extra salt that make the difference with these cookies.

You brown your butter. You mix your dough as usual. Then you form your dough into a disk and put it in the fridge, because Joy said so...


Then you do something you've never done before and scoop the dough off of that piece of wax paper and onto parchment paper lined baking trays. It feels a little strange, but remember, she does it too.


Then because you're a little skeptical, you gently press each cookie so it's a little flatter and you sprinkle it with some salt. You're not skeptical about the salt. That's always good.

Then you bake the cookies two trays at a time. It smells really good and you are convinced that Joy has delivered a good recipe once again.


The cookies are removed from the oven and you wait for them to cool enough to transfer onto the cooling rack and then straight into your mouth. Now you have EVERYONE'S favorite cookie! 


The Best Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes about 3 dozen cookies
recipe from The Joy the Baker Cookbook
Click HERE for a printable recipe. 
1 cup (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon molasses
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
coarse sea salt, to sprinkle on top
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Place half the butter (8 tablespoons) in a medium skillet. Melt the butter over medium heat, swirling it in the pan occasionally. It’ll foam and froth as it cooks, and start to crackle and pop. Once the crackling stops, keep a close eye on the melted butter, continuing to swirl the pan often. The butter will start to smell nutty, and brown bits will form in the bottom. Once the bits are amber brown (about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes or so after the sizzling stops), remove the butter from the burner and immediately pour it into a small bowl, bits and all. This will stop the butter from cooking and burning.  Allow it to cool for 20 minutes.
Beat the remaining 1/2 cup butter with the brown sugar for 3 to 5 minutes, until the mixture is very smooth.
Beat in the vanilla extract and molasses.
Pour the cooled brown butter into the bowl, along with the granulated sugar. Beat for 2 minutes, until smooth; the mixture will lighten in color and become fluffy.
Add the egg and egg yolk, and beat for one minute more.
Add the flour, salt, and baking soda, beating on low speed just until everything is incorporated.
Use a spatula to fold in the chocolate chips and pecans and finish incorporating all of the dry flour bits into the dough.
Scoop the dough onto a piece of parchment paper, waxed paper, or plastic wrap. Flatten it slightly into a thick disk, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. About 15 minutes before you’re ready to begin baking, place racks in the center and upper third of the oven and preheat your oven to 350°F.
Scoop the dough in 2 tablespoon-sized balls onto the prepared baking sheets. Leave about 2″ between the cookies; they’ll spread as they bake.
Sprinkle the cookies with sea salt, to taste — as much or as little as you like.
Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes, until they’re golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and allow them to rest on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes before moving them.
Serve warm; or cool completely, and store airtight at room temperature for several days. For longer storage, wrap well and freeze.

 How do you like your chocolate chip cookies?

Where did you get the chocolate chip cookie recipe that you use?

Are you a Joy the Baker reader too?


1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I love Joy the Baker AND browned butter cookies. I tried a plain browned butter cookie (without chocolate) that everyone in my family loves and will definitely give these a try. Thanks for sharing!

    Oh, and I'm definitely a fan of a good chewy cookie. Chewy is the best in my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please be sure to leave your e-mail so that I can reply. :)